Black Dahlia: Deep, Dark, Luscious Lip Colors from Sheer to Intense
I have a weakness for deep dark black-cherry shades. But while all of them look intensely dark in the tubes, many of them are actually quite sheer or have different undertones.
- A black cherry lip that has a bit of red/berry tone actually brightens the face and the darker/richer your skintone, the blacker you can go on the lips without having to change the makeup on the rest of your face.
- If you’re very pale and you like dark lips, you might need to add a bit of warmth back to your cheeks with a blush that has some pink/red in it if you don’t want to look straight-up goth or 20’s Noir. Then again, I do love 20’s Noir makeup with smoky droopy eyes and deep dark lips.
- Sheerer berry shades can look very patchy and uneven. The best way to wear it is as an ombre stain. Apply, blot to remove most of the color, then reapply just around the center or the entire bottom lip, and then transfer just a bit of color to the top.
- For deep dark shades, do try to wear a lip liner or clear liner to prevent bleeding cos it will be VERY obvious.
The shades shown: (Tumblr isn’t rendering the lip images properly so check it out here if you can’t see it clearly!)
- YSL Rouge Volupté Sheer Candy in No 5 Mure Exquise is a more berry/rose-toned version of Clinique Black Honey, which can pull a little brown and unflattering on me sometimes.
- Michael Kors Lip Lacquer in Dame. This is actually not a fave. It’s almost impossible to wear this evenly unless you have very rosy or dark lips to begin with. If you’re not careful, you can end up with patchy, corpse-like lips.
- Chanel Glossimer 176 Crushed Cherry. Gorgeous gloss that pulls a little purple. It’s gorgeous on top of nude liner and glorious applied around the center over red lipstick!
- Shu Uemura Gloss Unlimited WN 20 S is a raisiny deep shade with soft shimmers. If you want a less cool-toned alternative to the Chanel, or a slightly more even application, this one is good.
- Marc Jacobs 132 Saboteur is the darkest shade in his range, and unlike Little Pretty, the next darkest purple-toned shade, this one has a bit more red and goes on more evenly and more opaque.
- Chanel Rouge Allure Velvet 327 La Desiree. It’s amazing how “bright” it looks compared to the other shades here! But it’s really quite a deep and rich rose-red shade in a velvety lightweight matte texture.
- MAC Diva is a classic. It’s one of my all-time favorite dark liver reds. While it looks a little plummy and dull here, believe me when I say it looks beautiful on the lips. Perfect when you have hardly anything on your face except a little mascara and this dark, rich, intense lip.
- Sephora Long Lasting Lipstick No 23. This is a nice alternative to MAC Diva, but it’s a little creamier to apply, and more lightweight. Doesn’t wear as intense and dramatic as Diva in real life though.
- OCC Black Dahlia is one of the treasures in my Lip Tar collection. I knew I had to have it the moment I saw it. It’s a perfect black cherry red. So dark it’s almost black. For a 20’s look, this is a fantastic shade.
- OCC Metallic Black Dahlia is one of my more recent purchases. I was repurchasing Pretty Boy, and saw this shade on their site. I usually steer away from the metallic shades because a lot of the lighter colors I’d tried previously went on patchy and looked unflattering, but obviously the same thing doesn’t apply to the dark shades because this thing is GLORIOUS.